Kahlil Gibran Quotes
Selected quotes from Kahlil Gibran's Books and Poems.
Click on a book title to go to its page on this website.
- "Love gives naught but itself and takes naught but from itself. Love possesses not nor would it be possessed; For love is sufficient unto love." (Chapter 2)
- "Give one another of your bread but eat not from the same loaf. Sing and dance together and be joyous, but let each one of you be alone, even as the strings of a lute are alone though they quiver with the same music." (Chapter 3)
- "You give but little when you give of your possessions. It is when you give of yourself that you truly give." (Chapter 5)
- "Work is love made visible. And if you cannot work with love but only with distaste, it is better that you should leave your work and sit at the gate of the temple and take alms of those who work with joy." (Chapter 7)
- "Your pain is the breaking of the shell that encloses your understanding." (Chapter 16)
- "Your hearts know in silence the secrets of the days and the nights. But your ears thirst for the sound of your heart's knowledge. You would know in words that which you have always known in thought. You would touch with your fingers the naked body of your dreams." (Chapter 17)
- "No man can reveal to you aught but that which already lies half asleep in the dawning of your knowledge." (Chapter 18)
- "You talk when you cease to be at peace with your thoughts; And when you can no longer dwell in the solitude of your heart you live in your lips, and sound is a diversion and a pastime." (Chapter 20)
- "...the timeless in you is aware of life's timelessness, And knows that yesterday is but to-day's memory and to-morrow is to-day's dream." (Chapter 21)
- "...regret is the beclouding of the mind and not its chastisement." (Chapter 24)
- "People of Orphalese, beauty is life when life unveils her holy face. But you are life and you are the veil. Beauty is eternity gazing at itself in a mirror. But you are eternity and you are the mirror." (Chapter 25)
- "Your daily life is your temple and your religion." (Chapter 26)
- "And if you would know God, be not therefore a solver of riddles. Rather look about you and you shall see Him playing with your children." (Chapter 26)
- "In the depth of your hopes and desires lies your silent knowledge of the beyond..." (Chapter 27)
- "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." (Chapter 27)
- "To judge you by your failures is to cast blame upon the seasons for their inconstancy." (Chapter 28)
- "Love is resolution added to my being, linking my present to generations past and future."
- "I purified my lips with sacred fire that I might speak of love, but when I opened my mouth to speak, I found myself mute."
The Eye Of The Prophet
- "I have floated in the universe of the infinite and flown in the upper air of the imaginary world. There I was close to the circle with its divine light; here, I am in the prison of matter."
- "Be patient, for it is from doubt that knowledge is born."
- "...he who has never looked at suffering cannot claim to see joy."
Tears And Laughter
- "In God's field of Beauty, at the edge of the stream of life, I was imprisoned in the cage of laws made by man." (Chapter 10)
- "Everything of beauty that awakens my love and desire is a disgrace, according to man's conceptions; everything of goodness that I crave is but naught, according to his judgment." (Chapter 10)
- "Yesterday I was a happy shepherd looking upon his head as a merciful king looks with pleasure upon his contented subjects. Today I am a slave standing before my wealth, my wealth which robbed me of the beauty of life I once knew." (Chapter 12)
- "Human kinds cling to earthly things, but I seek ever to embrace the torch of love so it will purify me by its fire and sear inhumanity from my heart." (Chapter 15)
- "Beauty is that which attracts your soul, and that which loves to give and not to receive." (Chapter 26)
Sand And Foam
- "It was but yesterday I thought myself a fragment quivering without rhythm in the sphere of life.
Now I know that I am the sphere, and all life in rhythmic fragments moves within me."
- "The first thought of God was an angel.
The first word of God was a man."
- "Remembrance is a form of meeting."
- "Forgetfulness is a form of freedom."
- "Humanity is a river of light running from the ex-eternity to eternity."
- "One may not reach the dawn save by the path of the night."
- "My God, my aim and my fulfilment; I am thy yesterday and thou art my tomorrow. I am thy root in the earth and thou art my flower in the sky, and together we grow before the face of the sun." (Chapter 2)
- "I have existed from all eternity and, behold, I am here; and I shall exist till the end of time, for my being has no end." (Chapter 1)
- "Human beings unite in destroying the temples of the spirit and cooperate in building the edifices of the body." (Chapter 5)
- "You are my brother, and both of us are sons of a single, universal, and sacred spirit. You are my likeness, for we are prisoners of the same body, fashioned from the same clay. You are my companion on the byways of life, my helper in perceiving the essence of reality concealed behind the mists. You are a human being and I have loved you, my brother." (Chapter 5)
- "Yesterday we complained of time and feared it, but today we love and embrace it." (Chapter 7)
- "Too young am I and too outraged to be my freer self." (Chapter 24)
- "You are your own forerunner, and the towers you have builded are but the foundation of your giant-self. And that self too shall be a foundation." (Chapter 1)
- "Out of my deeper heart a bird rose and flew skywards.
Higher and higher did it rise, yet larger and larger did it grow.
At first it was but like a swallow, then a lark, then an eagle, then as vast as a spring cloud, and then it filled the starry heavens.
Out of my heart a bird flew skywards. And it waxed larger as it flew. Yet it left not my heart." (Chapter 15)
Visions Of The Prophet
- "Happiness is a vine that sakes root and grows within the heart, never outside it." (Page 4)
- "My existence, with all that I have revealed and hidden concerning it, appears to me like an atom in the sigh of a small child, a moment that trembles in a void stretching from Creation to Eternity." (Page 6)
- "Love is all I can possess and no one can deprive me of it." (Page 3)