The Bridge Across Forever
[ Introduction ] [ Quotes ] [
Reviews ] [
Excerpts ] [
Buy from Amazon.com ]
- "The opposite of loneliness, it's not
togetherness. It is intimacy."
- "Next to God, love is the word most mangled in
every language. The highest form of regard between two people is
friendship, and when love enters, friendship dies."
- “There are no mistakes. The events we bring
upon ourselves, no matter how unpleasant, are necessary in order
to learn what we need to learn; whatever steps we take, they're
necessary to reach the places we've chosen to go.”
- "Here's how people live here, in big
house-shaped boxes to keep off "rain" and "snow," holes cut in
the sides so they can see out. They move around in smaller
boxes, painted different colors, with wheels on the corners.
They need this box-culture because each person thinks of herself
and himself as locked in a box called "body," arms and legs,
fingers to move pencils and tools, languages because they've
forgotten how to communicate, eyes because they've forgotten how
- “From time to time it's fun to close our eyes,
and in that dark say to ourselves, 'I am the sorcerer, and when
I open my eyes I shall see a world that I have created, and for
which I and only I am completely responsible.' Slowly then,
eyelids open like curtains lifting stage-center. And sure
enough, there's our world, just the way we've built it."
- "Look in a mirror and one thing's sure: what
we see is not who we are."
- "The only thing that shatters dreams is
- "The best way to pay for a lovely moment is to
- “That's what learning is, after all; not
whether we lose the game, but how we lose and how we've changed
because of it and what we take away from it that we never had
before, to apply to other games. Losing, in a curious way, is
- “It is by not always thinking of yourself, if
you can manage it, that you might somehow be happy. Until you
make room in your life for someone as important to you as
yourself, you will always be searching and lost...”
- “Do you know what I learned from you? I
learned what is possible, and now I must hold out for what I
thought we had. I want to be very close to someone I respect and
admire and have somebody who feels the same way about me. That
or nothing. I realized that what I'm looking for is not what
you're looking for. You don't want what I want.”
- " 'Boredom between two people, she said one
evening, doesn't come from being together, physically. It comes
from being apart, mentally and spiritually.' Obvious to her, it
was such a startling thought to me that I wrote it down."
- "We're the bridge across forever, arching
above the sea, adventuring for our pleasure, living mysteries
for the fun of it, choosing disasters triumphs challenges
impossible odds, testing ourselves over and again, learning love
and love and LOVE!"